London mayor Sadiq Khan has said he will bring in gender-neutral toilets to ensure trans people feel safe in the UK capital.
The mayor, the capital’s first Muslim leader, campaigned during the election with his commitment to LGBTI rights.
His London, in a new interview with the Evening Standard, will be a city with transgender police officers and loos that are non-gender specific.
‘Identity is an area that is evolving and developing and stuff, so I think you should respect people’s right to choose how they want to be identified,’ he said.
Gender neutral toilets have already been implemented in certain places across the UK, such as in Lancaster University as well as the University of Northampton’s nightclub The Sugarhouse.
The UK has moved relatively slowly on this, with the White House installing a gender neutral toilet in April.
Khan’s other promises for the LGBTI community were:
- Build job opportunities for LGBTI people
- Insist on zero tolerance for homophobic and transphobic hate crime
- Spread mental health and HIV awareness
- Strengthen protection for venues – has noted when London previously had a Labour mayor, there were 430 live music venues with many of them being LGBTI, and this was brought down to 245 under a Conservative mayor
- Include trans in all areas of London public policy, involving trans people in decision making – Read more at:
The London mayor also brought up his idea for ‘London-only visas’ in the light of the Brexit vote. London voted to stay in the European Union, but it was elsewhere in England and Wales that forced a leave vote.
‘We voted overwhelmingly to remain in the EU, and there are unique needs for London, which is why the Government needs to give us a seat at the table when it comes to negotiating,’ he said.
‘We are a split country. One thing I can do in a position of power and influence is heal the rifts. I’m not suggesting we declare independence….[but] I do love the idea of being El Presidente!’
The post London mayor Sadiq Khan will bring in gender-neutral toilets for trans safety appeared first on Gay Star News.